The 12 Smart Growth Principles represent the core values of the Valley and
will be used as the basis of future Blueprint planning and implementation.
While each COG developed its own goals, objectives, and guiding principles,
the Smart Growth Principles were intended to reflect a regional perspective.
The Smart Growth Principles establish a benchmark for Blueprint related
decision-making and provide guidance for achieving the adopted San
Joaquin Valley Blueprint.
The adopted 12 Smart Growth Principles are:
- Create a range of housing opportunities and choices
- Create walkable neighborhoods
- Encourage community and stakeholder collaboration
- Foster distinctive, attractive communities with a strong sense of
- Make development decisions predictable, fair, and cost-effective
- Mix land uses
- Preserve open space, farmland, natural beauty, and critical environmental
- Provide a variety of transportation choices
- Strengthen and direct development towards existing communities
- Take advantage of compact building design
- Enhance the economic vitality of the region
- Support actions that encourage environmental resource management